Reports to: Lead Museum Educator
Hands-on House Children’s Museum of Lancaster is seeking a motivated and enthusiastic Education Assistant who can help guide hands-on learning for children ages 8 and under. The ideal candidate enjoys working with children, understands how they learn, and is dedicated to creating a nurturing, play-based learning environment. The Education Assistant will be responsible for facilitating child-directed learning, facilitating pop-ups, facilitating educational programs, and setting up and maintaining materials.
- Facilitate child-directed learning in our educational classroom, the Play Lab
- Facilitate and teach educational pop-up activities, as directed by Museum Educators
- Facilitate various on-site educational programming
- Prepare and set up materials for educational programs
- Organize, maintain, and clean materials and classroom space
- Maintain a safe environment for all guests at Hands-on House
- Other duties as discussed and assigned by Museum Educators
- Preference given to those with or currently working towards a degree in Early Childhood Education or related fields
- Documented previous experience working with children is required, preferably in an educational setting
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and support a positive team-based atmosphere
- Professional demeanor
- Child and criminal security clearances, including fingerprinting, are required
- Dexterity is mandatory as this job frequently requires use of hands and fingers
- Will be required to walk, reach with hands and arms, push items overhead, occasionally stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Regular lifting of up to 15 lbs. and occasional lifting of 30-50 lbs.
- Ability to climb stairs/ladders
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- 10-15 hours a week, with potential for more hours during busy season in the spring
- Fridays and Saturdays, with occasional shifts on other days
- Typical shift time 9 am- 3 pm on Fridays, 9:45 am to 2:30 pm on Saturdays
- Permanent, part-time hourly position
- Starting rate: $14 an hour
Click here to apply on Indeed
Hands-on House Children’s Museum is a nonprofit organization dedicated to facilitating fun learning opportunities for children aged 8 and under. At Hands-on House, adults and children play and learn together. Our exhibits, classes, and programs are short on lectures, and long on interactive, participatory activities.
Hands-on House Children’s Museum of Lancaster does not and shall not discriminate based on race, color, religion (creed), gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or income in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to hiring and firing staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provisions of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors.
Hands-on House Children’s Museum of Lancaster is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job application on the bases of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, creed, age, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.