Right In Your Own Backyard
Whether you live in the city, suburb or the country, there’s learning all around you. Climb up to our tree house. Crawl into a honeycomb and see what it’s like to live like a bee. Use construction machines to raise and lower, push and lift. Explore our backyard exhibit and discover nature, art, physics and more!
Ways to Engage
- Encourage observation and description. Ask children to tell what they see from the tree house.
- Play a game of Tic Tac Toad. Practice math and problem-solving skills.
- Learn what worker drone and queen bees do; each bee has a job to do to ensure the survival of the colony. What jobs do different people have to help your community?
Little Valley Farm
There’s so much to do – and learn – on the farm! Pick apples – and sort them by color. Collect eggs – and count a dozen. Use a pulley to haul up bales into the hayloft. And don’t forget to check the engine and gas up the big blue tractor!
Ways to Engage
- Ask children to sort green hay (for food) and yellow straw (for bedding) and explore how the pulley system works.
- Compare the size of animals on the wall. Which is smallest? Which is largest?
- Plant crops and identify what living things need to grow and thrive – water, sunlight, food, air.
- After sorting the apples, ask your children to put them back on the tree using a pattern.
Mason’s Active Adventure Garden
Mason’s Active Adventure Garden gives active imaginations space to learn and play. Featuring a colorful play structure for climbing and sliding, plus flower bushes and paths, a dry rock riverbed, a pretend “shipwreck” and giant percussion instruments, the adventure garden is bursting with discovery opportunities!
Mason’s Active Adventure Garden is provided by the Georgelis family in loving memory of Mason Georgelis.
The Play Garden
Pumpkins and beans and peas, oh my! Visit our good-for-you backyard garden and see what’s growing.
You’ll be a-mazed by the Discovery Meadow. As you wind your way through the grass, look for butterflies and listen for the birds!