Hands-on House is a fun and educational place to take your class or group!
- Group visits are 1 1/2 hrs, and are available Monday, Thursday, and Friday mornings or afternoons. No group reservations are taken for visits on Saturdays or Sundays.
- Advance reservations for groups are required. (Minimum: 2 weeks)
- Group admission is $5.00 per person for children and adults.
- Hands-on House can accommodate group reservations of 20 to 70 children.
- One adult chaperone (age 16 or older) for every four children is required.
- Hands-on House does not have indoor or outdoor group picnic facilities, and eating or drinking is not permitted in the building. A staff member would be happy to recommend a park with covered picnic tables within a 10 min drive.
- Mason’s Active Adventure Garden & the Clubhouse are not included with a group visit.
- Groups are welcome to make purchases from our Gift Corner. ($1-$10)
- To schedule a group visit, call Hands-on House at (717) 569-5437.
- PA Common Core and Academic Standards are addressed by your field trip to Hands-on House.
Double The Fun Tour
Looking for more than the average field trip? Double the Fun tours give your group the chance to play at Hands-on House and check out Oregon Dairy’s Farm & Store Tour! It’s DOUBLE the fun! Group tours are available Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays, April through October.
- Starting at Hands-on House from 9:30am-11am
- Lunch at Oregon Dairy
- Ending at Oregon Dairy from 12:30pm-2pm
Groups will begin by spending 1 1/2 hrs at Hands-on House, then have lunch at Oregon Dairy and finish the afternoon tour at Oregon Dairy.
- Right In Your Own Backyard: Explore a treehouse, paint your face, and transport coal with construction machines.
- Little Valley Farm: Pick apples, collect eggs, and use a pulley to haul up bales into our hayloft.
- Grocery Corner: Follow a grocery list, learn about the food pyramid, and make a multi-layed sandwich in the Hands-on House Deli!
- Tractor and wagon ride to farm
- Tour the barn and milking facility
- Pet a calf and learn all about dairy farming
- Tour the store and visit all the departments
- See “behind the scenes” in our warehouse and learn how we recycle cardboard
- Receive a sample of our famous Chocolate Milk and mini vanilla ice cream cone!
- If time permits, children can play in our farm themed playground.
Price: $9/person (No charge for babies in arms)
Group Minimum: 20 children
Group Maximum: 60 One adult per every 4 children is required
For reservations or more information, call Hands-on House at (717) 569-5437.
Discovery To Go outreach enrichment workshops bring the museum to your school classroom! These exciting, action-packed programs incorporates a variety of unique hands-on activities that blend learning with having fun. Discovery To Go workshops are multi-disciplinary and can be integrated into many areas of your classroom curricula. All Discovery To Go workshops have been designed to be presented to individual classes.
Discovery to Go workshops are available for K-Third grade, in elementary schools throughout south-central Pennsylvania. Programs are presented at your school by an experienced Hands-on House Museum Educator.
Costs: Discovery To Go fees are determined by the number of classroom presentations made. All Discovery To Go workshops have been designed to be presented to individual classes, rather than as a large assembly. This allows each student ample opportunity to participate and experience the hands-on learning activities.
BONUS: Each child who participates in a school workshop receives a one-time free child’s admission pass to Hands-on House (an $11.00 value) for a future museum visit with his or her family.
Reservations: To find out more about bringing any of the Discovery To Go programs to your school, please contact Hands-on House at (717) 569-5437 or email email@example.com.
Become a dinosaur paleontologist and journey back in time with a traveling fossil dig. This enrichment workshop brings dinosaurs to life while exploring paleontology, geology, and more! Students will use their imagination and thinking skills to solve mysteries from the age of dinosaurs. This interactive workshop is geared for kindergarten, first and second grade classes.
Explore tree trunk traffic with the Hands-on House traveling tree. Take a walk in the woods, explore the forest floor, and encounter creatures that creep, crawl and fly as Hands-on House brings the outdoors, indoors. Students will learn about environmental awareness and conservation of natural forest resources. This interactive workshop is designed for kindergarten and first grade classes.
Go on a Senses Safari with Hands-on House! Explore and compare your senses with those of your favorite jungle animals, to discover how animals navigate the world. Sniff like a snake, see like a zebra, and touch like a wild cat. This interactive workshop is geared for kindergarten, first and second grade classes.
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Blast Off! Go on a far out adventure into wellness that is out of this world. Students will travel on an intergalactic mission to learn to build a balanced meal, avoid environmental hazards, fuel up with self-esteem and learn healthy habits to last a lifetime. This interactive workshop is geared for kindergarten, first and second grade classes.
Estimation + Cooperation = FUN! Become mathematical problem solvers at the Hands-on House picnic, where students will measure, estimate, count, observe, predict and sort. Unpack your picnic and get your hands on math! This interactive workshop is designed for kindergarten and first grade classes.
Use the Scientific Method in order to master the forces of gravity, magnetism and light. Students will hypothesize, predict, observe and test through experiments using raceways, kaleidoscopes and magnets. This interactive workshop is designed for first, second and third grade classes.